Sunday 7 February 2010



For the penguin competition brief i chose to create a book cover design for the book 'Perfume' by Patrick Suskind. After reading the book and watching the film all the way through it made me feel a bit uncomfortable and it made me feel uneasy. I wanted to create a feeling of unease and distress on my front cover. I looked at a british graphic designer named Vaughan Oliver. His work is very engaging and are very undistinguished i realy like his use of mixed media and 3d objects which are photographed. In the story the main character has a super human sense of smell and wants to make the best perfume, he wants to bottle the smell of virgin girls. its a brilliant book but as you can imagine it is very hard drawing a smell! in the book it seems to turn into a science experiment with test tubes and smothering the dead bodies with a substance that draws out the smell.
looking at Vaughan Olivers style of working has helped to gain the unsettling aspect into my image.

No comments:

Post a Comment